Thursday, March 16, 2017

Joseph and His Life of Unfairness

The story of Joseph and his brothers gets me. How can Joseph's brothers treat him the way that they do? How can they want to kill him? There is something that just isn't right about this story.

Joseph really isn't doing anything wrong, yet his brothers feel he is being favored. It reminds me of other stories in the Bible involving siblings--Cain and Abel, the Prodigal Son and his brother, etc. It never seems to fail that their jealousy gets the best of them. They go to all costs to get what they want.

I teach a 2nd grade milestone class titled "Life's Not Fair" because at that age, nothing is fair. Why does my sibling get to do that and I don't? The story of Joseph and his brothers is the story we discuss. A lot of times life's not fair but the truth is God is with us even in the uncertainty and unfairness.

Killing--the shedding of blood is not the answer. Yet God sent a God's son as the ultimate example of unfairness. Jesus hung on the cross for our sins. Jesus' blood was shed for the amazing scandalous love that God has for all of us.

One of my fave Holy Week hymns is "Where You There?" Where You there when they crucified my Lord? Where you there when they laid him in the tomb?

Where we there..NO! But are we willing to live like we where? Like we truly believe in the sacrifice Christ made for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments totally make my day!