Friday, March 03, 2017

Father, Forgive Us

I read the Slate Project's Lenten prompt this morning and it has been replaying in my mind all day. I can't shake it. I don't need to look far to see all that has been unfolding in our world. Who am I to judge? Who am I to say what is truth?

But then I hear these words from the book of IsaiahIs not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?" I find myself clinging to these words. I want to be a child of God who loosens the bonds of injustice and helps to let the oppressed go free.


Every day, I'm well aware that there are many who need to be set free. I know that I fail.  My eyes aren't always opened to the oppression I see in the world. I don't always speak up when I should speak up. I too often stay silent when I should shout from the mountaintops, "Let the oppressed go free."


I can't do it by myself, but I can make a difference if I see the oppressed in our midst. Our world is incredibly blind to the injustices and oppressions that are happening in the world. I wonder what God will say to us one day..."How did you not see my children in need? How did you not help them?


 But God loved us so much, God sent Gods one and only son into the world for each of us. Jesus was crucified by the Empire. With a crown of thorns on his head, he proclaimed "Father, forgive them for they not what they are doing." Three days later, life overcame death when Jesus rose and ascended into heaven.


Father, forgive us....how many times do we choose not to loose the bonds of injustice?

Father, forgive us...how many times do we fail to let the oppressed go free?
Father, forgive us....how can our a President put up walls to keep the others out?
Father, forgive us....how can we not see those who you love but society sees as different?

Help us to open our door to those in need.

Help us to break bread for all your beloved homeless children.
Help us to loose the bonds of injustice and free the oppressed.

Friends, I know I'm not always good at this but I want to do my best to share Gods love so that the light will break forth. So during these days of Lent, I'm opening my arms wide open to say "Here I am, Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments totally make my day!