Saturday, January 21, 2017

Hopes, Dreams and the March

"How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news."

Today was a day full of lots of action.  My FB feed was full of women of all ages and color marching all around the US. I won't get into any detail here because there are friends and family who are on both sides of the political spectrum. But watching the womans marches unfold gave me hope-- a hope rooted in resistance.

If I could have marched, I would have marched along side my friends. I would have marched for my mom and all who daily struggle with a mental illness. I would have marched for those dear souls who  live with a developmental disability. I would've marched for my friends of various skin colors and sexual orientations. I would have marched for everyone because every story matters (the words on my friend DG's poster today as she marched and held space for so many)

As Brene Brown says, "The bravest thing you'll ever do is tell your story." Yet too often we forget that everyone has a story and every story is different. We forget that our stories link us more than they divide us. We forget that God sent Jesus into the world for each and everyone of us. That Jesus was the first to turn the world upside down. Jesus was one of the first to resist the powers of this world.

But most of all, I believe that we are all called to do justice, love kindness/mercy and walk humbly with our God. We are all beloved, broken, blessed children of God who are called to love one another. "Love one another as I have loved you."

I can't help but keep replaying these words from Jonathan Rundman's song "This is My Song" in my mind tonight. As these words echo through my ears, this is my prayer tonight and every night. "This is my song, O God of all the nations, a song of peace for lands afar and mine, this is my home the country where my heart is, here are my hopes, my dreams, my holy shrine, but other hearts in other lands are beating with hopes and dreams as true and high as mine."

There are hopes and dreams beating in every heart tonight; hopes and dreams founded on love and hope. May we rise up together and proclaim the love of God for all people; people of every shape, size, religion, etc who each hold a precious hope and dream in their own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments totally make my day!