Thursday, November 10, 2016

Make Me An Instrument of Your Peace

On Tuesday, the United States of America gathered at the polls to elect our next President. It is no surprise to any of us that the election was very contenscious. So it is also no surprise that half of our country is happy with the results of Tuesday's election while the other half are grieving, sad and even fearful! (I'll admit that I am grieving) I know that every person who gathered at those polls on Tuesday voted for the person that they believed in...the person they could fully place their faith and trust in.

As the election returns came in, I was and continue to be saddened at the way we have chosen to treat each other. I thought (and honestly know that we are better than this) But I too have failed miserably at treating my neighbors with love and respect and seeing them "in the best possible light."

Yet when I give myself some space and listen; truly listen to the voices of those on the margins as well as all those I love, I realize that we all are called even more to live out the words from Micah 6:8 "But what does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with our God?"

In the upper room, Jesus said to his disciples "that they all may be one." That is what I am committing to working towards; to utter and complete unity for all; for justice for all. I know that there are days that I will fail at that. But I will continue to be the best voice of light and love that I
can be in this broken world.

This is my prayer in the coming days, weeks, months, and years:

"Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith:
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen!" (Prayer attributed to St. Francis of Assisi)

I am linking up with Holley and Coffee for your Heart and Kristin and Three Word Wednesday.

 



4 comments:

  1. Amen! It's up to us, the individuals, to make sure that love happens despite the fear. It's up to us to educate and enlighten (in love).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching on from Canada, I can only imagine your strong feelings and emotions right now. Interesting times, for sure! But I think you have nailed it in this post, and I pray that many will have the same convictions in time. You end with such a perfect prayer—for all of us! Stopping by from #CoffeeforYourHeart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Laura! That prayer is one of my absolute faves! :)

      Delete

Your comments totally make my day!