Sunday, June 12, 2016

Love Winning Over Fear

I remember it as if it was yesterday. My sister and I sitting on our front porch; tears streaming down my sister's face. "Tara, why are people discriminated against for their sexual orientation?" I was speechless. As the big sister, I remember wanting to take my sisters sadness away. I wanted to take away the hurt and pain of our LGBTQ friends especially her best friend. I wanted love to always win over fear.

And most days I see glimmers of love overcoming fear. In fact, our world has made changes, but in my opinion, not enough. When we wake to the news of a mass shooting in Orlando, one's heart cannot help but be broken. No one should ever be discrimated against. God calls us to love our neighbors."Love your neighbor as you would love yourself!"

I understand that we may not all agree how we should handle this in our world. But it seems to me that love can always win if we choose to let love win. God sent Jesus into the world because God loved us that much. Jesus was the first one to break bread with tax collectors and sinners. In the upper room, Jesus prayed "that all may be one!"

That all may be one.....we pray that violence is never the answer.
That all may be one...we pray for the community of Orlando and all that mourn this night.
That all may be one...we pray that love ultimately always wins over our fears.
That all may be one...we pray for an end to hatred.

As the day comes to a close, I'm choosing to cling to the promises of hope, restoration and transformation. How might we let our lives be transformed? How might we let our world be transformed by love and not hatred and violence?

We are all broken clay pots; sinners in need of God's love and grace! And as we let the light shine in our cracks, we are reminded that "light truly does shine in the darkness!" But yet I still want to reach out to my LGTBQ friends and family.

So to my LGTBQ friends, "This is not right. This is unfathomable. This is heart wrenching and maddening. I am so so sorry for the way you've been treated. Know that you are loved. Know that I will do my best to not be silent, but rather to help make sure this doesn't happen again. Tonight know that I am wrapping my arms around you; embracing you in God's love!"

It's the least I can do!

Disclaimer: These are my thoughts and not necessarily the thoughts of the people and congregation I serve. 

I am linking up with Holly and Testimony Tuesday; Kelly and the RaRa linkup, Jennifer and Tell His Story, Holley and Coffee for your Heart, and Kristin and Three Word Wednesday. 

 

 


12 comments:

  1. Tara, this is beautiful. I am saddened by the hatred as well. I love how you call us to transformation through love. Your voice needs to be heard on this. Thank you for boldly writing your heart and reaching out to the vulnerable and hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love wins. Grace wins. Your post reminds me of 1 Corinthians 13.


    4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

    8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.














    New International Version (NIV)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you, friend. We don't understand, but God is good and we love because He loves. I can't imagine any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our thoughts are so similar this week <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been such a sad situation. I am so glad that Jesus followers have reached out with such compassion.

    Cheri (your neighbor at Coffee for Your Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! This is the message that we need to convey and not the one of hate or misunderstanding that happens most frequently. Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Blessings to you too friend!

      Delete

Your comments totally make my day!