Thursday, May 19, 2016

Unexpected Expectations

I am linking up for the Five Minute Friday. The FMF is hosted by Kate Motaung on her blog Heading Home. Today's prompt is "expect."

I never expected that seminary would be a part of my journey. But that is exactly where God sent me. That part of my story is something that I never expected and yet it changed me in so many ways.

This past Sunday was graduation at Wartburg Theological Seminary.One of my FB friends shared a picture of the castle and her feelings as she left that place. I shared that it was not what I expected either but it is a place that holds a special place in my heart and always will. I never expected to make some of the most amazing friends. I never expected to have professors and friends who would be my biggest cheerleaders. It was not what I expected, but it was what God had in store for me.

To this day, I look back and thank God for my seminary journey. It is something that I never would have expected, yet it is a part of my story that is a huge part of who I am. It also is the place where I grew as a woman of faith. It is the place that helped me realize I could do anything in this world...including living out my own dreams.

Today I opened my mailbox to find a proof copy of my 2014 Write 31 Days series now in book form. I never expected that overwhelming amount of love I would get for this book. I never expected the mixed emotions I would feel. It was so surreal. I didn't know whether to jump for joy or let the tears flow. And let's be honest, anyone who knows me knows what I wanted to do.

*I held that book in my hands. I ran my fingers over the cover. I held my book in the palm of my hands. All of a sudden an expected dream was realized. I may never psychically hold a baby in my own belly. But as a pregnant mother awaits and expects the birth of her child, I too waited and expected a dream to come true...and that it did. 

I don't know what to expect next, but I am so thankful that I am not on this journey alone. Most of all, I am thankful that I can expect God to always journey with me.

*This is where my five minutes ended 

28 comments:

  1. Yay, Tara! Holding that book...what a special moment. I am so happy for you, and happy that your journey and mine took us to a place where we might meet.

    This lets me count dying as all joy. I would not trade places with anyone.

    #3 at FMF this week.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/05/your-dying-spouse-157-dont-expect-that.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, it really was. I too am happy that our paths have crossed. Your words made me smile friend.

      Delete
  2. i can identify with you tara as far as the things you didn't expect from your life that have happened:) and congrats on your book! it is no small feat! i'm sure it must feel like giving birth:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seminary finished and your very own book. Sounds like expectations realized. Sounds like hope now seen. Isn't that satisfying? When expectations and prayers whispered in the dark quiet come completely true. So happy for you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I graduated seminary ten years ago but yes it was a huge accomplishment. Oooh I love that...expectations and prayers whispered in the dark quietly come completely true. Thank You!

      Delete
  4. That is so amazing, Tara! Well done on your huge effort bringing the book into the world - definitely something worth celebrating and feeling all the emotions over! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is like birthing a baby - almost as painful. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take your word for it since I've never birthed a baby! :)

      Delete
  6. Some of the best things in my life have also been things I never would have expected. I love that God has plans for us that are much better than our own. Well done on the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carly, that's so true. And thank you!

      Delete
  7. Oh yay! Congratulations, Tara!! What's the title of your book: of course I want a copy of my own to read!

    Isn't it funny that God takes us where we least expect and often where we least want to go too ... but in those journeys we are drawn so incredibly close to Him. I love what you share about your seminary experience: especially about your cheerleaders! Thank you, Jesus, for growing Tara and us all in Your Love to dream the to us impossible and to live it out in Your Power to Your Glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, the book title is "Being A Daughter: 31 Days of Mental Illness." Seminary truly was a gift and some of my bestest friends were met there!

      Delete
  8. Great expectations that only He could fashion dear friend. What fun to hold your very own book in your very own hands. Congratulations! In the #35 and #37 spots this week

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy for you. The 31 Days Of Writing was so worth the effort! And, I honor your graduation from the seminary as a woman of faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was! And thank you!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful story! Congrats on graduating and the new book! Like you said, you didn't expect all of this but God did and it seems like He has blessed you immensely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina, I actually graduated ten years ago from seminary.

      Delete
  11. Tara, I just love you. Your willingness to go where God leads encourages and inspires me. I'm so happy about your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I just love you too!! And I'm glad that my willingness to go where God leads encourages and inspires you. And thank you! I'm pretty happy about it too!

      Delete
  12. :). You make me smile! You're doing brave big time, my friend! Keep on stepping out in faith and going where He leads you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. God is the keeper of the unexpected and He loves to bless us with it just when we need it the most. Thank you for sharing a snippet of your seminary journey and of course the birth of your book. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thrilled for you, Tara! What great things He has done in your life and will birth through your willingness to follow His leading into wide open spaces. He is so astoundingly good! (Sending hugs and confetti!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, thank you!! He truly is astoundingly good. Oh and I'll gladly take your hugs and confetti!!

      Delete

Your comments totally make my day!