Thursday, May 12, 2016

Baby Calves, Fresh Tomatoes and Growing Up

I am linking up for the Five Minute Friday. The FMF is hosted by Kate Motaung on her blog Heading Home. Today's prompt is "grow."

The wheat stalks blowing in the prairie wind....
The sunflowers bright yellow, turning towards the sun....
Potatoes sprouting out of the ground...

These images are engrained in my mind as the seeds that my Dad, Uncle, Aunt, and Grandpa plant during this time of the year begin to grow later in the summer months. I'm also reminded of the baby calves that are born during this season too! Feeding a baby calf a bottle helps that calf to grow.

Besides the fields and baby calves, I love to watch the items that are planted in our gardens. The fresh produce that soon is set upon our table. I cut into the red juicy tomato; sprinkle it with salt and enjoy this luscious tomato. Sometimes the best BLTs are made from those tomatoes too. There is nothing I like more than a luscious red tomato grown and picked fresh.

Life is all about growth. Have you ever thought about how much you have grown over your lifetime? I look at my baby pictures, my high school pictures, my camp pictures, my seminary pictures and now my pictures from today. It's obvious that I have changed in looks, but I also have grown and changed in so many other ways. I'm reminded of how sometimes it takes more guts to stick with it. I think of all the people who share with me how they have seen me grow and mature over the years. It truly is a gift; a gift to know that as we grow God journeys with us.

This gift that begins at birth and journeys with us throughout our lives. As a lover of infants, I love watching babies and children grow. One of my most favorite things in the world is to hold an infant in my arms. (Katie, I so wanted to hold your precious infant when you scoped with us and introduced her to us today) I am reminded of how one of the families my sister and I used to babysit for and how they are now getting married and having babies themselves. They have grown up. I am so proud of the men and women they have become.

Growth is a precious season of life. It is a season that reminds us that growth is a natural part of life. Tonight I was watching an old episode of How I Met Your Mother when Lilly said to Marshall "We need to grow up!" The truth is we all need to grow up. But sometimes, I believe, its  ok to relive our childhood as long as we remember to grow up.

46 comments:

  1. Aww, great post, Tara! Growth is precious. It shows us how far we have come and sometimes how far we still have to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BLT's made with fresh tomatoes, YUM! My daddy can fry bacon like no on else, his BLT's are the best. Great post Tara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally yum! I would love to try one of your dad's BLTs.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! And now I seriously want a BLT! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sorry I made you crave a BLT! :p

      Delete
  4. Oooh Tara, the salted, fresh-sliced tomato from the garden! Yes! (how's your season out there on the prairie?)
    Around here, we've got a short season as we're at 4200 ft, but the tomatoes are delicious.
    I waxed nostalgic with the growth of my girls tonight and a couple of photos. They're still the same to me, sometimes, and sometimes they've really grown. :)
    Love,
    Tammy
    (#9 tonight... mambo!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes for sure. We don't plant tomatoes usually until June. So it will be a little while before I can get fresh tomatoes. Loved your post about your girls. Love you too!

      Delete
  5. Nice post, Tara...I could feel the fresh wind of spring!

    Since I tend to indulge in dreadful and horribly adolescent jokes, one of the things I hear most is an exasperated, "Oh, for pete's sake, will you EVER grow up?"

    No. Not ever.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/05/your-dying-spouse-154-politics-of-death.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew! I love that are still here and haven't grown up yet.

      Delete
  6. "Life is all about growth." So true- I love the picture you paint of the growth we can see around us, and it is so encouraging when we look back and see growth in ourselves and others' lives too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carly, yes! And thank you!!!

      Delete
  7. I've been looking at old baby pictures - so fun! (Especially seeing similarities between the girls and me, since everyone thinks they look like dad!) I'm learning that growing up is never a stop but a process. I keep thinking I'll be grown up after xy or z but really I wonder if I'll be 90 and still wanting to grow up? ;)
    Annie (#24)
    annierim.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up really is a process.

      Delete
  8. This is so true, Tara! There is nothing like a fresh tomato right off the vine! Yum! Good stuff!
    Thanks for these thoughts and words. It's stuff to grow on! (Stopping by from FMF #23)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! Nope nothing like a ripe tomato right off the vine.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful, Tara...there's always the little girl/boy in us, even when we're all grown up 😉...and you're right that that's okay. And yes what a gift this is: "to know that as we grow God journeys with us"...we sure do need Him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your growing words. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe there is a growth that takes place in the remembering!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm coming over for your prairie tomatoes and BLTs. Can I, pretty please? BTW, what is your seminary degree in? And I wrote down the Laura Ingalls Wilder quote today. I'm going through a course where I'm supposed to write down my fave quotes. That is definitely one of them. You covered everything I can think of that matters about growing. Excellent, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, I would love to have you over. Come right over! That Laura Ingalls Wilder quote is so my fave!!

      Delete
  13. i enjoyed your post tara:) speaking of fresh tomatoes from the garden, have you ever heard of sugar on fresh tomatoes? that is what my husband grew up eating in his town in WI! i had never heard of it b/f i met him:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha! I have heard of sugar on tomatoes but I've never tried it. I need to try that.

      Delete
  14. Fresh tomatoes are a big hit at my house. My daughter likes asking for a tomato with a little bit of salt as a snack. I really enjoyed reading your thought about growth. I hope you have a lovely weekend. -Jolene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Hope you had a lovely weekend too!

      Delete
  15. Spring and summer are so much fun! I love seeing growth. I'm always reminded that in order to grow, we have to experience some sort of not-so-fun stuff. When I'm in the middle of a not-so-fun season, I always hold tight to the hope of growth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This caught my attention as I'm writing about the prairie too this morning even though I live in Australia, and we technically don't have any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun to see another blogger writing about the prairie. The prairies here in ND are gorgeous!

      Delete
  17. I have never been able to successfully grown tomatoes :( Your description sounded heavenly! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post, Tara! Reading about the tomatoes reminded me of a story of my grandmother when the moved from the farm to the city. She went into a grocery store and when she looked at the tomatoes she said something like, "That's not a tomato!" She was used to the garden fresh ones that are so juicy and red and delicious. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayl! I always feel that exact way when I go into the store to buy tomatoes. Blessings to you too!

      Delete
  19. Great words! I can only imagine the beautiful gardens you planted and enjoyed produce from while growing up. There truly is nothing like fresh fruits and veggies. Growing up is important but looking back to see how far we have come shows us that we are headed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too love watching things grow: plants and my daughter and grands. Thanks for your inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And thank you!

      Delete
  21. Developing fruit and vegetables, as well as infants and children, are beautiful visible reminders of growth. Thank you, Tara, for reminding us that no matter what season of the soul, or season of life we might be in, God accompanies us every step of the way. Enjoy your tomatoes! Home grown ones are delicious! ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! Home grown tomatoes are indeed delicious!

      Delete
  22. I LOVE your awesome opening poetry about wheat in the prairie wind! And garden fresh tomatoes forever and ever. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Growth is precious! Somehow it reminds us of what we were and how far we have come while bringing us such hope for what we will yet be! Glad I stopped by!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments totally make my day!