Tuesday, April 19, 2016

To Love Well

" If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all God's mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain 'Jump,' and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love."-1 Corinthians 13:1-7 (The Message)

I was scrolling through my Facebook feed today when I came across these words on my friend Dana's page. Today these words hit me more than ever before. I too want to love well. And I want to know that the love I am sharing; God's love is making a difference. Because God's love always wins.

This Bible verse also got me thinking about the deepest yearnings of my heart. As a single 37 year old, still yearning deeply to be a wife and mom, there are days I wonder why my heart is yearning so deeply. I also wonder why I cling to the words "How long, oh Lord, will you forget me forever?" But what I have come to realize is that God has called me to "love well." I want to be a friend who loves her friends well. I want to be a mom who loves her children well. I want to be a wife who loves her spouse well. I want to simply love well...whatever that love may look like in my own life.

Yes, there are days that we are not so great at loving each other well. We have arguments. We don't always agree with one another. We sometimes are selfish and jealous. But the truth is that even in the midst of those challenges, God calls us to all love well; to shower God's love upon this world. God sent God's son into the world for each and every one of us. "For God so loved the world that God gave God's only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God sent God's Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him (John 3:16-17)."

God's love for the world was given to each and every one of us when God sacrificed God's Son on the cross for our sins. What an incredible powerful act of love--the ultimate example of what it means to love well. I too want to share that love and grace with the world. I too want to follow and love all God's people well; most especially I want to love well all those that are different than me. To be honest, I don't know what God will say when we get to heaven, but what I do know is that God loves us so much that God sent Jesus for our sins...and Jesus was the ultimate example of love for the world. Jesus always choose love and wasn't afraid to sit with those that were different than him.

One doesn't need to look far to see how our world is bombarded with pain, war, and violence. There are so many days when I don't want to open a newspaper or turn on my television because of the destruction that I will see. Instead I am choosing to cling to hope and God's love for the world because ultimately it is God's love that wins and calls each and every one of us to "love each other well"; a love that is stronger than just words and actions; a love that transcends beyond all time and space!

For King and Country--The Proof of Your Love
I am linking up with these lovelies today--Holly and Testimony Tuesday; Kelly and the RaRa linkup; Jennifer and Tell His Story, Holley and Coffee for your Heart and Kristin and Three Word Wednesday!!

 

 

12 comments:

  1. I love that song, especially the spoken word part. We worry so much about whether Christians should get tattoos, or vote Republican, or whatever, when we don't really know how to love well. And at the end of the day, if we can't love well, nothing else matters. What a thought-provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of my parts of this song too. Yep if we can't love well, nothing else matters indeed!

      Delete
  2. So true that love is what really matters and it's a good reminder that we should be seeking to love well whatever situation we are in. Everyone around us is our neighbour and we are called to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great perspective, Tara - in the midst of anything we are waiting on and waiting for we can love those that God places in our path in the here and now. There are a lot of people who need to be loved well - who need to experience the gracious and unconditional love of Christ. Great encouragement to be known by our love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tara ... so very good to meet you this week, to connect over conversation over the church and singles. Coming here to visit you and to hear one of my favorite songs is such a beautiful grace!

    Blessings to you ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! And so glad you enjoyed the song. I was blessed to find your space this week too!

      Delete
  5. That's what I want to do--those love in my little corner of the world with all my heart. Thank you for the reminder that that is God's wish for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems so simple: Love. But, goodness, it's hard sometimes. We certainly complicate it with a bunch of unnecessary rules & expectations. Thank you for this encouragement. And I'm glad you linked up at #ThreeWordWednesday.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments totally make my day!