Thursday, April 07, 2016

Making A Whole Harmony Together

Thursday night is totally my jam! It's the night my Five Minute Friday crew gathers on Twitter. We chat about life and whatever is going on. Tonight it was all about the Idol Finale and some of our favorite bloggers/writers Jennifer Dukes Lee, Emily P. Freeman and Annie F Downs to name a few. We chat until our fearless host Kate shares the prompt for the week. I love these people so much because they are indeed that "my people." Love you all! 

I am linking up for the Five Minute Friday. The FMF is hosted by Kate Motaung on her blog Heading Home. Today's prompt is "whole,"

I write the songs that make the whole world sing
I write the songs of love and special things
I write the songs that make the young girls cry
I write the songs, I write the songs 
(I Write the Songs by Barry Manilow)

I have watched American Idol almost since the very beginning. I started tuning in during season two and have watched every season since. Tonight the curtain was closed as American Idol said goodbye for the very last time. The song lyrics from above remind me of the many stars that have come out of this show. American Idol has been the voice for this generation of musicians. I love how tonight's finale celebrated the whole of this show.

And as I think about all those voices who have shared on the show, I am thankful for the whole of community that God placed into my life as well. Without community, I wouldn't be blessed to share my story. I wouldn't be able to know that I am enough and to know that I am indeed loved...loved for the whole of who God created me to be. Earlier this week I shared a quote from Annie F. Down's new book "Looking for Lovely"--"Your people remind you of the goodness of God and remind you what it means to finish." YES!!!!

As I celebrate the music and community in my life, I cannot help but think of one of my fave Sunday School songs "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands." Are you singing it along with me friends? "He's got the tiny little baby in his hands. He's got you and me baby in his hands. He's got the whole world in his hands." God created the world and everyone in it. *I wish everyone truly understood the whole of these verses and treated everyone equally.

But sadly, I know that the world is full of hatred and unfairness and even racism. It breaks my heart that we cannot treat each other equally; to treat the whole of who we all are. We are all "fearfully and wonderfully made" called and claimed by God. God sent God's son into the world and Jesus wasn't afraid to turn the world upside down. Jesus broke bread with tax collectors and sinners. Why cannot we all be kind to one another? I strive each and every day to treat the whole of who God created each of us to be. For when we are able to do that...the whole world is able to sing together and make one gorgeous harmony! 

*Where my five minutes ended 


 


22 comments:

  1. Okay! I almost mentioned Barry tonight when asking about what music we play loud when we're alone, but I couldn't bring myself to do it, and now here you go! He's still one of my favorites and I love this piece. Do you know Shane surprised me with tickets February 2015? He is ALWAYS the showman and makes you feel like it's just you and him. Incredible talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Christy! :) That is so cool that Shane surprised you with tickets. Doesn't surprise me that he is such a showman.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written, Tara. This is the first season I have really followed American Idol (I don't relate to most of the music, and find screaming fans irritating).

    But it was touching, and sweet, and I am glad I watched.

    #2 at FMF

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/04/your-dying-spouse-140-not-warrior-fmf.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Andrew! It was touching and sweet wasn't it?

      Delete
  3. I love your thoughts on community. We definitely need other people to remind us of God's goodness and bring out the best in us. And it would be amazing if people were treated equally and valued as people created by God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carly! Yes it would be so amazing if people were treated equally and valued as people created by God.

      Delete
  4. Wholeness in community - definitely. Thanks Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara, you managed to put two songs into my head. Barry Manilow's songs always made me sing along when I was younger. And, "He's Got the Whole World . . ." that was one of my faves too.

    May we choose to set the example of treating everyone in our world equally, loving them as God does. Thank you for this post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I had to use both songs because they were the two stuck in my head too. You are welcome.

      Delete
  6. "He's got the whole world" immediately came to my mind when I saw the prompt. ;) Even in this broken world -filled with broken people and actions - I am so thankful that it is in His Hands. That there is a bigger picture and that I can rest in the knowledge that God's got us.
    Annie (#44!)
    annierim.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me too! I am so glad that world is in his hands.

      Delete
  7. Now you have that Barry Manilow song stuck in my head. I've only watched one season of American Idol (I'm more of an Amazing Race and Survivor fan). May we always strive to treat each other the way God treats us--with mercy, grace and forgiveness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Anita! :P I like Amazing Race too.

      Delete
  8. i enjoyed your post tonite tara:) it was fun to walk down memory lane, thinking about some fun music of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific as always, Tara! Your perspective on life is refreshing. I totally agree with the way community both shapes and releases us to be all we can be by God's grace. Grateful to have connected with you through the five-minute-friday writing crew. Have a blessed weekend. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Joy! I am glad that my perspective on life is refreshing. I too am grateful to have connected with you through the Five Minute Friday crew too! Hope you had a blessed weekend!

      Delete
  10. Tara,
    I remember American Idol when it first came out. I watched Kelly win, and I cheered Carrie Underwood when she won. I really haven't been enthralled by any of the winners since that time, but I think it's because the show (in my opinion) became more of a popularity contest and less about talent.
    Still, the point of your post was community.
    And, how when we feel broken, Jesus makes us whole. He can use that community to fill those broken places.
    :) You and I had the same song in our heads. How do you write on "whole" without that song?
    Love,
    Tammy
    (#74 on FMF this week)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand what you mean about it being more of a popularity contest and less about talent. Yes, how do you write on the words "whole" without that song? :)

      Delete
  11. I loved your response too. I loved that God gave us a "whole" community to share and be a part of. Thanks for inspiring me tonight. I am parked at 84 tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, me too! I am glad my post inspired you.

      Delete

Your comments totally make my day!