Thursday, March 24, 2016

Life and Death

Thursday night has become my favorite night of the week when I gather on Twitter with my Five Minute Friday crew. I missed the first part of the party but loved coming home to my favorite people. These people mean the world to me. I love these ladies and men so so much! I never imagined the ways God would bring such amazing people into my life. They are my biggest cheerleaders and I am there's! 

I am linking up for the Five Minute Friday. The FMF is hosted by Kate Motaung on her blog Heading Home. Today's prompt is "alive."

I am so thankful to be alive. I am thankful for each day that I have been given. Yet this week I have seen so many suffer death and the loss of life around them. This week our community of faith laid to rest a young 45 year old dad who suffered two strokes and died suddenly. He leaves behind three boys, his wife, a stepdaughter and so many more family and friends. Then I learned that last week my friend Julia gave birth to her husband and her first child at 23 weeks and one day. Kaia Gene was born into this world and was alive for a mere 90 minutes. Her parents baptized her with ice cold water and got to feel her heart beat against there's for a little while. But then she breathed her last breath.

And there are so many who are clinging to life while suffering like our blog brother Andrew. Many of us are so glad that he is still alive, but we also want to take away his pain. In all of this, I am reminded of the life we have been given through God's Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Jesus died on the cross for all of our sins.

Today we begin the holiest of weeks journeying from Maundy Thursday where Jesus gathers with his disciples for the last supper and washes his disciples' feet. Then we journey to Good Friday where good doesn't seem like quite the appropriate word to describe this night when it is the night that Jesus is crucified.* Hanging on the cross, with his nail pierced hands, Jesus utters the words "Father forgive them for they know not what they are doing!" Then Jesus too breathes his last.

On Sunday, we come to the tomb expecting Jesus' body to be there. But instead we find the tomb empty, Jesus is not here. He is risen. He is alive! But how can this be? The truth is that God gives us life; life abundantly, a life that even comes alive in the midst of death. God overcomes death and the grave. "Easter says you can put death in a grave, but it wont stay there"--Clarence W. Hall

From the holy table to the cross to the empty tomb, we know that our redeemer lives!

*This is where my five minutes ended

My Redeemer Lives--Nicole C Mullins

35 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:24 PM

    Hi Tara, I'm your FMF neighbor. Reading your words tonight is like sitting in that sacred place where grief and hope reside together. I know the heart ache you feel as your loved ones grieve, and as you grieve alongside them. My sister in law lost her 17 week old baby boy two weeks ago. It's a dying of life and of the hopes you hold for them. But in the same breath come tears of peace knowing they are sitting in the presence of Almighty God, celebrating His glory and abundant life. Thank you for sharing your heart tonight. I'll be praying for your friends and family in this time of sorrow. ~Brandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your kind words, Brandi! I'm sorry to hear about your sister in laws baby. Thank you also for the prayers. They are so greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Tara. You brought tears to my eyes!

    It's hard to stay alive...my body doesn't WANT to...but God's will trumps everything, and the dance goes on.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/03/your-dying-spouse-134-why-i-yet-live-fmf.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep doing the box step, Andrew, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4...you know how it goes...xo

      Delete
    2. Andrew, it wasn't suppose to bring tears to your eyes. I'm so glad the dance is still going on for you. I agree with Susan...just keep doing the box step.

      Delete
  3. HI Tara. Great quote because Easter doesn't stay in the grave. He is alive! So thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post- I'm so thankful that there is hope, even in the midst of suffering and that death does not have the last word. Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carly, me too. Happy Easter to you too!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post friend! It's part of the great mystery of Christ isn't it? How he would come and suffer for our sins when he himself was perfect. Have a wonderful Resurrection Sunday! In the #25 spot today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! Hope you had a beautiful Resurrection Sunday.

      Delete
  6. Amen! No matter what terrible things surround us, we have a hope and a future becuase of the sacrifice Jesus made for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "From the holy table to the cross to the empty tomb, we know that our redeemer lives!" Wow! Love this Tara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend. That is one of my fave lines too.

      Delete
  8. Beautifully written, Tara. Somedays, he is the only "good" thing I see. But, other days I see good things everywhere and I rejoice in his goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even in your grief, there is so much hope here...thank you for reminding me the hope is because our Redeemer lives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tara, love your words, as I always do. (Hoping I *can* leave a comment today)....hope springs eternal. Praying for your friend. Helen xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. Yes hope does spring eternal. Also thanks for the prayers they are so greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  11. i think i lost my post tara:( i'll try again. great post:) hard to feel that sin and death are beaten when these sorts of circumstances hit...but I Cor. 15:12-28 is such a great reminder isn't it? it did happen. we can bank on it no matter what it looks like in the world around us now. blessings this weekend as you celebrate the Christ's victory over sin and death for us:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you lost your first post. I do like the reminders found in 1 Cor 15:12-28.

      Delete
  12. Precious and beautiful! The toughness of the cross: already and not yet. *sigh* Our world is the tension between creation and restoration, isn't it? Thanks for sharing!

    ~jennifer (#8 at FMF: Alive)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the song My Redeemer Lives. I went to one of her concerts about fifteen years ago with a group of friends. Yes reading to my children from their children's Bible Storybook about Jesus washing the disciples feet this week really undid me. Jesus' example of love and service is so amazing. I hope you have a lovely weekend celebrating the Resurrection. Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my fave songs too! Hope you had a blessed Easter!

      Delete
  14. Tara, beautiful. I am sorry to hear about your friends who lost their baby. Such a painful loss. My heart goes out to them. You've had your share of dying to deal with this year. Hugs.

    When I stop to consider the reality that Jesus is ALIVE, it about floors me. He defied sin and made a way for us to overcome it as well. I am amazed at the depth of His love for us. I'm so thankful He is alive and that He loves us so much.

    I hope your Easter celebration holds much joy, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanne! My Easter did hold much joy! Hope yours did too!

      Delete
  15. My granddaughter, who is five, asked me, "Why is it Good Friday when something so terrible happened that day?" I didn't know the answer. Your description of Alive gives me hope, we know our redeemer lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is hard to explain why it's called goodl I'm glad that my description of alive gave you hope. Yes our redeemer lives!

      Delete
  16. The grave couldn't hold HIM. He is Risen INDEED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope the grave couldn't hold him! Yes indeed our redeemer lives. He is risen indeed!

      Delete
  17. Love this line: "a life that even comes alive in the midst of death." Praise God! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! Happy Easter to you too!

      Delete

Your comments totally make my day!