Wednesday, September 16, 2015

My People

Joining in with the online discussion on the book "On Being A Writer" by Ann Kroeker and Charity Singleton Craig. Today we are working through Chapter 9: Engage.

"It's not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer."--EB White

Karrilee, Tammy, Dana, Valerie, Ingrid, Melissa, Susan, and so many more. These are all the names of women that I didn't even know a year ago. At that time, I only knew them by their blog names. I met them through their blogs as we participated in the Write 31 Days community. I've said it before and I will say it again, I never could have imagined where that journey would lead me. Each and every one of these people have engaged with my blog. They have left comments. We have Voxed each other. We have watched each other's Periscopes. We have cried with each other, prayed for each other and so much more!

I cannot even begin to put into words what engaging with other bloggers and writers has done for my soul (but I will try!) Many of you know my story of having a negative experience at a writing group at the local library in my previous town several years ago. It was an experience that hurt my heart and caused me to hold back and be leary of other writers etc. Yet these women and men who I have met this past year have given living water to this parched soul! And for that, my friends, I simply say thank you!

There is so much joy in find my people; finding those who utter the two simple words "Me, too!" Our stories aren't meant to be held close to our chest, but to be shared with each other. And so, I have learned to share my story by engaging with so many linkups (Many of the ones Kate shared in her blog post on Monday: Holly Barrett, Jennifer Dukes Lee, Holley Gerth, etc).

I invite you to engage with these communities too. I love when the link-up host replies to one of my comments. For me, it shows validation for my words. But more than that, it shows me that someone has read my words, identified with them and engaged with them. It reminds me again and again that I am not on this journey alone.

This summer, I had the opportunity to meet three of my blog friends in real life. I cannot even begin to describe to you what that was like. It was like seeing an old friend again, sitting down with coffee and catching up on life. I am already counting down the years, weeks, hours, minutes and seconds until I meet my next blog friends in real life. I also am excited for my first blogging conference whenever that might be! (It is super expensive to fly just about anywhere from North Dakota!) BUT attending a blogging conference is on my personal bucket list!

Thank you for being here dear friends...and thank you for engaging with me and my words! I so appreciate each and every one of you! You are each a  gift!!!

14 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you that the 'me too' is so important....loved this post...your enthusiasm and happiness at having found 'your tribe' shines out of your writing...Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you loved this post! Thanks for stopping by, Helen!

      Delete
  2. Me too!!! I am so grateful for the gift that is YOU! :) Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You friend! Love you too!

      Delete
  3. My words exactly! Last year's challenge opened doors of friendship I didn't know existed! Extreme blessings. And, girlfriend, thank you for the thank you card. LOL xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome for the thank you card! And extreme blessings indeed! xo

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you have found 'your people' ;) and your soul has been refreshed. Your words bring encouragement, just hearing you share your heart. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I am so glad I found my people too. I am so glad my words bring encouragement. You are so welcome!

      Delete
  5. I love this, Tara. It's great to hear about how you have been so blessed by the friendships you've made through blogging. While I'm pretty scared about doing 31 Days I am constantly encouraged by hearing about how positive an experience it was for you, so I'm looking forward to making new connections through that. I have loved connecting with you and the others in this writing group too- it's my first experience of this kind of thing but I have definitely been blessed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carly, thank you!!! I was scared the first time too. I pray you have a positive experience too. I don't want you to be disappointed. I have loved connecting with everyone in this writing group too. I am so glad you have been blessed by it.

      Delete
  6. Isn't it wonderful to find community--no matter where you live? I'm so thankful that I've gotten to know you and other ladies from the Write 31 Days bloggerhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is so wonderful to find community. I am so thankful that I have gotten to know you too.

      Delete
  7. Tara,
    wow. I'm so honored to be in your list. :) You are so precious to me, it's amazing I haven't actually met you in person yet. I used to live a stone's throw from you...in Rapid City, SD. Okay, so farther than a stone. But, North Dakota is so flat you could stand on a stone and see my house from there. ;)
    Thank you for faithfully reaching out and wanting me to be connected with you. You are a better friend than I deserve and I'm truly grateful for you!!!
    Love,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are precious to me too! And I'm so grateful for you too. Isn't it so incredible how we can connect and we haven't even met in person yet.

      Delete

Your comments totally make my day!