Good Morning dear readers and friends! This is a fun post to start off our week. My sweet friend Carrie who blogs at Living with Unspeakable Joy nominated me for the Liebster Award. Carrie and I "met" through the Five Minute Friday Snail Mail Party. In fact, we have been on two of the last lists together. According to an Internet search, the Liebster Award is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The word Liebster comes from German origin and has many different meanings: " dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, welcome, sweetheart (and yes even boyfriend. Really?) I don't know about you but I rather like that list of definitions! :)
Now onto my questions...
2. Have you always been a writer? I actually laughed when I read this question, because I have not always seen or called my self a writer. Yet I have been working my way through Kate Motaung's book discussion and link-up for the book "On Being A Writer." I am learning that I am indeed a writer. And if you ask my momma, she would tell you that, when I was little, I was one of those kids who just needed pen and paper and I was a happy camper. So I guess, yes, I have always loved words and have always been a writer! (Did I really just type that? I must really be growing into my identity as a writer!)
3. What do you hope to accomplish with your blog? I want my blog to be a space where others will be encouraged. I want it to be a space that shows God's love, grace, and mercy to the world. In fact, I want God to use me and my words to bless God's people. I want people to know that there is power in hearing the words "me too." I want my readers and followers to know that they are not alone.
4. What is your favorite holiday and why? Oh boy...this is a hard one to answer. I love lots of holidays. But my favorite holiday would have to be Maundy Thursday. Now I realize not everyone celebrates this holiday, but it holds a special place in my heart. On that night, Jesus stooped down and washed the feet of his disciples. As a woman called to word and service, called to pick up my own basin and towel, this holiday reminds me of my call in the world and reminds me that I am called to reach out to ALL OF GOD'S PEOPLE!
5. Name three words that Jesus would say describes you. Sweet, caring, tender-hearted.
6. Who is the biggest influence in your life? MY MOMMA! My Mom had a nervous breakdown right after my younger sister was born. My mom has never let her illness get in the way of who she is: a beloved child of God. She is one of the most faith-filled woman that I know. She could have easily turned away from God, but instead she just turned closer to him.
7. What are your favorite books? Oh man I have so many so I thought I would share a list:
"Let's All Be Brave" by Annie F. Downs
"Pastrix" by Nadia Bolz-Weber
"Confessions of a Prairie Bitch" by Allison Arngrim (played Nellie Oleson on Little House on the Prairie)
"Love Wins" by Rob Bell
Anything by Wendell Berry
"Bossy Pants" by Tina Fey
"Bread and Wine" by Shauna Niequest"
"Silver Linings Playbook"
"1000 Gifts" by Ann Voskamp
(AND MANY MANY MORE!)
8. Where is one place you would like to travel? I have always wanted to travel to Scotland. I thought that would be a really cool place to visit. I haven't traveled outside of the United States except for Canada. I really would love to go just about anywhere. I have international seminary classmates that I could visit. I have always wanted to go to Germany to see all the Lutheran sights.
9. What are you passionate about? I am passionate about quite a lot. But really I am passionate about reaching out to all God's people. I am passionate about sharing my family's journey with a mental illness. I am passionate about showing God's love to all God's people especially the downtrodden and outcasts among us.
10. If you could meet anyone, who would it be? Hmmmm...JESUS! :)
11. What is the best piece of advice you have ever been given? "Show them your heart!" When I left my last church to take a new call at my current church, a bunch of them told me to simply "show them my heart." In showing them my heart, they knew they would love me for who God created them to be. And they were so very right.
I hope you enjoyed the answers to my questions. Here are my 5 nominees:
Christy at Just a Thought...
Valerie at Tales from a Southern Catholic Momma
Tammy at Sincerity and Hope
Sarah at And So I Give Thanks...
Karrilee at Abiding Love, Abounding Grace
Here are your questions my friends:
1. How did you come up with the name of your blog?
2. Have you always been a writer?
3. What do you hope to accomplish with your blog?
4. What is your favorite holiday and why?
5. Name three words that Jesus would say describes you.
6. Who is the biggest influence in your life?
7. What are your favorite books?
8. What is one place you would like to travel?
9. What are you passionate about?
10. If you could meet anyone, who would it be?
11. What is the best piece of advice you have ever been given?
Don't forget to check out these blogs. I am so blessed to call these women my friends! :)