Saturday, September 19, 2015

A Garden Not A Tumbleweed

Joining in with the online discussion on the book "On Being A Writer" by Ann Kroeker and Charity Singleton Craig. Today we are working through Chapter 10: Plan.

Growing up on the prairies of North Dakota, during seasons of drought, I have seen my fair share of tumbleweeds blowing about. I know how easily they can show up in the most unwanted places. As I read Ann's words about how she viewed her writing as a tumbleweed, I found myself shaking my head along in agreement.

I haven't much had a plan when it comes to this space. I've written when I felt the nudge to write. Yet I want more than that. I want a better plan. I want my writing to reach those that God wants me to reach. I'm reminded of the words to Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord; plans to prosper and not harm you; to give you a future with hope."

Last October when I participated in my first 31 days challenge, it did change my plan some. I have been more of a planner since than. Even when I haven't necessarily felt like writing, that is when I have felt the need to write more. In other words, I am nurturing and nourishing my words in this place. Im reminded of Ann's words when she writes: "My writing life these days is more like the habit of keeping a garden. I sow seeds, watch for growth and fruit, nurture what’s flourishing until it seems the harvest is fading, and a sow a new batch of seeds when the time is right."

I love that image! I want that hear in this space too. When I was younger, I dreamed of writing my own children's book. As I've gotten older, I've wondered about sharing our story of mental illness in a book. It is something I have been praying and thinking about even more lately. I want to continue to share my words; to sow seeds, watch for growth and sow new seeds when the timing is right.

I want my writing to be a garden of fruitfulness rather than a single tumbleweed blowing about like on the prairies of North Dakota.

6 comments:

  1. I like the garden/ tumbleweed contrast too, and the approach of having a plan to a certain extent but also sowing seeds and responding to what grows. I think this is the key- "I want my writing to reach those that God wants me to reach." We have to sow the seeds and nurture them but God makes them grow- and as long as we're seeking him he will lead us and whether it is a few people or many he can use our words to reach those he wants them to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! We do need to sow the seeds and nurture them but you are so right...God makes the seeds grow.

      Delete
  2. Can I just ditto's Carly's comment. She said it excellently. Maybe we'll keep each other accountable as we write our books ")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes let's hold each other accountable!

      Delete
  3. We may all be at the same point. We have assurance that we should pursue our writing and now we must act. Later we will look back and see the evidence that God was guiding our way. This is learning by faith, assurances, action, and noting the evidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we all may be at that same point. I like your thoughts here. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Your comments totally make my day!