Saturday, April 04, 2015

I Don't Ever Want to Forget!

Standing arms outstreched
A crown of thorns upon his head.
The sound of the hammer
Driving the nails into his hands and feet.

Thunder rolling.
Lighting flashing.
The curtain being torn in two.
Jesus uttering his last words.

IT
IS
FINISHED!

And then pure and utter silence.

(His Last Day by Tara L. Ulrich)

Today we sit in silence as Jesus lies in the tomb. And as Jesus lies in that tomb, I find myself reflecting on what he has done for me. I don't want to ever forget what Jesus did for me and for you. Yet in the hustle and bustle of getting ready for Sunday, I find myself realizing how easy it is to forget. I had to go to Walmart this morning to pick up groceries for our youth Easter breakfast. As I walked around the store, carefully placing items into my cart, I found myself watching the crowds of people busying themselves for tomorrow too.

I bought our groceries and headed back to church. The youth and their parents met me there. We decorated for tomorrow, cut fruit, and I hid some eggs for our Easter egg hunt. After about an hour, I came home and finished my butterfly craft for my children's sermon for tomorrow. And then I mixed up some muffin mix and placed those in the oven. As I was washing my kitchen counters, I came across a gift that my aunt gave me several years ago. It is a cookie jar but this cookie jar is unlike any cookie jar I have ever seen. This cookie jar is a Nativity. This jar stopped me dead in my tracks as I was washing my counters.

That jar has been sitting there  for months. There are times I think, oh, I should put that away until next year. But then I get busy and forget about it. So it still sits upon my kitchen counter. Now Nativities in my house are not unusual because I collect them. All of them are carefully packed away after Christmas. But there is one that sits on my tv stand. That Nativity is there to remind me that Christ did not come one day a year but is here all the year round.

The Nativity sitting on my tv stand is always there and I love that it reminds me of the love of this man who gave his life for mine...for yours. But the Nativity in the kitchen, it so easily has just become a part of the decor. Yet today, on this Easter Saturday, this eve before we come to the tomb and find the stone rolled away, it stopped me. It reminded me again of the nails being driven into his hands. It reminded me again of the tears that his mother shed for him. It reminded me of the deafening silence after he uttered his last words. It reminded me again that death does not have the last word but that God does.

Christ has done so much for us. Christ has put on the victor's crown (Thanks for sharing that song, Karrilee). Christ will come again. But for now, let us sit in silence and remember as Jesus is lying in the tomb. We cannot experience the joy of Easter without Good Friday.

Sunday is coming, my friends. And because I don't ever want to forget, that Nativity will remain on my kitchen counter.

I am linking up with Barbie and Mary at My Freshly Brewed Life for the Weekend Brew.

6 comments:

  1. Love this and the beauty with which you describe Jesus' sacrifice. I also never want to forget. Easter blessings and so thankful you shared this at The Weekend Brew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, my friend! I love the idea of having a nativity out all year long. We keep a partial nativity out all year in the form of a lamp that my father in law made (he does woodworking) that features Mary holding Jesus with the star over their heads. It's shaped like a gothic cathedral window which I love because of the fact that the top of it sort of points toward heaven. Having these little "holy reminders" (as Mother Angelica calls them) is such a good thing because they keep our focus on what is important and that is, as you said, Jesus' sacrifice for us! Beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend introduced me to the concept of keeping a nativity out all year long. I love it because it reminds me that Christ is here all year round. That lamp your father in law made sounds beautiful. Thanks for stopping by friend!

      Delete
  3. Oh my friend! I love this... (and you're welcome! Isn't that song amazing?) And this: "Christ did not come one day a year but is here all the year round." - So Much Amen! May we all remember this Truth! He is Risen... and He is here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! That song is amazing! Yes indeed may we remember this truth. He is risen and yes, he is here! :)

      Delete

Your comments totally make my day!