Thursday, November 06, 2014

Lessons Learned

One of my new #write31 days friends asked this question on Facebook this morning, "Almost a week out from finishing the challenge. How did you see God grow you in the 31 days and do you find yourself with a new calling/purpose for your writing?"

(1) I have seen God use me for a greater purpose. As I have shared my story, I have seen how God has used me and my families story to bless others, to inspire others and to let others know that they are not alone.

(2) I was reminded how much I am truly a writer. My mom said I was a strange kid. Often times when I was little, I didn't want a toy. She could give me a piece of paper and a pen and I was a happy camper. Throughout this challenge, I have realized how good it is for my soul to put pen to paper; much like a musician writing a song and putting notes to words. I get to write sermons once a month for my job and write newsletter articles etc. But I haven't really taken the time to write for me! I have realized how much I missed writing!

(3) My hope is that I will continue to "find my tribe" and that others will find their tribe as well. It is so cool to find others who simply get me and understand who I am. Pure gift in knowing who and whose  I am. I hope that I can use this blog to help others see that as well and to know that gosh darnit, they are good enough; more than good enough!

(4) That being vulnerable can be a scary place to be. But by showing my own vulnerability, people see me for all of my experiences; for all of my hopes and dreams; for all of my griefs and losses. And by leading by example, others realize and see how being vulnerable and open can bless all of us!

(5) I learned a lot during these 31 days but I think my favorite has to be one a friend pointed out to me. She reminded me that I am truly living out the words to Romans 8:28. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." When I flipped my Bible open and read those words, I realized how true that is. It took me a long time to get there but in sharing my story, I have found a way to fully trust in a God who promises to never leave us or forsake us. I honestly don't know how I would have gotten through life and our struggles without my faith. I know that is not true for everyone but for me, there is such comfort in knowing that I am called and claimed as a precious child of God. Thanks be to God for that!

(6) I also think in many ways I have found my voice again. At seminary, I had a negative experience in a class by a classmate. (She later apologized and became one of my dearest friends) However that experience caused me to shut down and not think I had anything valuable to say. Throughout seminary and in my calls after, I was able to find my voice. And I continue to find that voice even more each and every day!

"Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good."--Romans 8:26-28 (The Message Translation)


8 comments:

  1. I love that you "found your voice". I found mine, too. Even though my blog is small, it's my heart.i loved reading what you learned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I am glad I found my voice too. And am also glad you found yours. My blog is totally my heart too!

      Delete
  2. I learned so many of the same things. I rekindled my love of writing and gained confidence, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of us learned the same things last month during the #write31 days challenge

      Delete
  3. I love this! I definitely feel I have learned a lot this month, and most notably was the fact that God reminded me of the fact that I a capable of doing so much more than I often give myself credit for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved this post! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that you've rediscovered your writerly self and have a new passion for writing consistently. It's also wonderful to find a tribe, isn't it?! May God continue to work in you and grow you to serve his purposes.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments totally make my day!