Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Saints and Sinners

In good Lutheran terms, I know that I am both "saint and sinner." I make stupid choices. But I also know that God forgives me when I make those stupid choices too. I try not to swear but sometimes it happens. Lately I have found the word "darn it" slipping out. Tonight it happened when I was saying thank you and goodbye to my 7th Grade Confirmation class and their mentors. I apologized for using the word. It's the second time it has happened in the last several weeks. Yes, it accidently happened in the pulpit when I was preaching my sermon a few weeks ago. I was mortified that it happened here!

I don't have a habit of using those words but for some reason, this word has been slipping out. And coming from my mouth, I'll admit this word seems a little strange. I remember one summer at camp a co-counselor asking me to say the "F Word" because he just couldnt see it coming from my mouth. He was like you are just not meant to use swear words. Which I guess truly is a good thing. But as the word "darn it" has fallen from my mouth I realize that it helps people see me as real. Like everyone else I make mistakes. I use not nice words when I shouldnt etc.

I am thankful for people like Nadia Bolz-Weber who remind me that I need to be who God created me to be. Nadia doesn't apologize for who she is. Nadia isnt afraid to share that she has lived a rough life and that she, in her words, "swears like a truck driver." I understand that people think that leaders shouldnt swear etc and I get that. But leaders need to be REAL...to be who they are...to be who God created them to be.

We are all "saint and sinner." And God claims us in the midst of our sainthood and our sinfulness. God forgives us of our sins and continually calls and claims us as God's children. Since we were born and throught the holy waters of Baptism, God says "You are mine." That is an eternal promise; an eternal promise for all "saints and sinners."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments totally make my day!