Saturday, November 16, 2013

Praying and Being Prayed For...

During the season of Lent the last several years I have found myself asking friends if they have any prayer requests. So I spend the season of Lent praying through my friend's list. There is something so incredibly holy about praying for my friends and family. It is always so incredible to look at their prayer requests a year later and seeing those requests answered.

I love praying for my friends and family! I know that God doesn't always answer the way they may want or expect, but if I can do something for them by praying, then that is exactly what I will do. And I know that my friends and family have and would return the favor for me. My friends have prayed for my family when someone has been sick or battling an illness. And my friends have prayed for so much more too.

This afternoon I headed over to the church for a 90th Birthday Open House.When I got to church, I was stopped by several of our church members because they know tomorrow is my last day at DLC and some of them are not able to come tomorrow. What has struck me today especially is the prayers that so many are lifting up for me right now. One of my dear ladies from church shared that she has been praying for me to find my Mr. Right. I simply said that it is something that I have wanted for a long time. And she replied that she knew that and that was why she was praying. She also shared that she wants me to have that because it is so great. Later another one of my ladies shared that she thought there were many who were praying that prayer for me.

I trust that God has heard my prayers...the many prayers I have prayed for that same thing. But I also trust that God hears their prayers as well. I know it will happen in God's timing and not mine but sometimes that is so much easier said than done. Yet I know that prayer is so incredibly humbling especially when others are praying for me. I am reminded of some words from one of my favorite liturgies Marty Haugen's Holden Evening prayer where his words capture the simplicity and beauty of prayer: "Our prayers rise up like incense"

Tonight I will say my prayers, lay my head on my pillow and trust in the prayers that are rising like incense for me this night as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments totally make my day!