Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Book That Needs to be Read and Shared!

Ever since I can remember, I've loved to read. I love and read just about everything. But rarely is there a book that captures my heart, soul and mind deeper than I could ever imagine. But Pastor Nadia Bolz-Weber's book Pastrix has done just that!! (Seriously I think everyone should read this book. It is pure grace!)

I saw Nadia speak when she spoke at the ELCA National Youth Gathering in New Orleans. Not only were my youth hanging onto her every word but I was too. Nadia is REAL! And so I was super stoked to read her book!

I got my wisdom teeth out on Sept 9 and her book was released on the 10th. I downloaded it onto my Kindle that day and was totally pulled in from the very first word.

I found myself laughing, crying and experiencing so many emotions as I read Nadia's words. I read as she shared about learning about the Haiti earthquake and that their cantor's friend was killed. Tears ran down my face as I thought of my own friends and our experience of losing this dear soul in our
lives.

I read as she shared the stories of those in her congregation at House for All Sinners and Saints. I especially found myself listening and reading about the man who was struggling with mental illness. I thought of those in my family who daily struggle with this illness. Nadia reminded me again that we all--including them--are beloved children of God. (I honestly wish people saw these individuals like Nadia does!)

I was constantly highlighting as I read Nadia's words. I think I'm going to have to buy the hard copy too. This book is a gem. And if you are only going to read one book this year, please make it this one!!

You see, God always shows up. I leave you with this words from Nadia's book. "This is the resurrected God to whom we sing. A God who didn't say we would never be afraid but that we would never be alone. Because this is a God who shows up: in the violence of the cross, in the darkness of a garden before dawn, in the gardener, in a movie theater, in the basement of a bar (Pastrix; Nadia Bolz-Weber, P.200)."

You see God calls us all to the table; to gather around bread and wine where we come together in all our brokenness and messiness. And I think more often than we care to admit our lives are more broken and messier than we think or even realize ourselves.

Nadia, thank you for a beautiful book filled with pure grace!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments totally make my day!