Our Friday Five is very simple today. Share five ways you've learned to care for yourself when life becomes overwhelming. What does the pastor do after a rough day in the office, or at meetings, or at a bedside, or even, in the pulpit? Share your best five self-care strategies, and, with any luck, we all will learn at least one or two new ones.
(1) Zumba. I try to do Zumba at least two times a week. I started doing Zumba about a year or more ago. I didn't think I would like it because I am not coordinated. But there is something about how I feel afterwards and it doesn't hurt that in 45 minutes I can burn 350 calories. It makes me feel good about myself! :)
(2) Reading. I love to read. Just about anything and everything! Books that make me laugh (Check out Alison Arngrim's Book "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch." Alison played Nellie Oleson on Little House on the Prairie. I was literally rolling on the floor laughing at points). Books that make me cry. Books that make me think. Books used to make movies (My latest: Silver Linings Playbook).
(3) Spending time with friends and family. Going to a movie, shopping, etc.
(4) Watching mindless TV--such as reality shows. Right now it's Big Brother, America's Got Talent, and Project Runway. I don't know what it is about these shows but there is just something about realizing my life is no where near the DRAMA found in these shows.
(5) Writing. I'm a writer so when I can sit down and blog...or write a poem or a story...it is so healing for me.