Monday, May 17, 2010

A Pebble in the Shoe of the Church

"Are you going to be a pastor?"
"No, I don't feel called to that ministry!"

As you can tell, one thing has been on my mind a lot lately....more than usual that is. A friend once said that "Diaconal Ministers are called to be the pebbles in the shoe of the church." As I look at this statement, I would change it a bit to say that all of us who serve on other rosters are called to be those pebbles.

The reality is many people are called to work in the church but not necessarily...Ordained/Word and Sacrament ministry. I know for me I knew that I didn't want to be a pastor and didnt feel called to that ministry. However when I got to seminary and started looking at the other rosters, I all of a sudden heard the Holy Spirit calling me into this new roster. Everything I read about it, I just heard the Holy Spirit speaking louder and louder and louder to me!

I'll admit it hasn't been easy. It's been full of pain. It's been full of some beating us up over this whole thing. I just wish people understood what a gift Deacons/Deaconesses, Associates in Ministry and Diaconal Ministers are to this church! But then I hear the voice of some who truly get it. I think of the words of one of my friends/colleagues said this weekend, "Diaconals, AIMS, and Deacons are wonderful gifts to this church." It is these kind of words that make me continue to carry on...to continue to educate...to continue to be who God has called me to be without compromising that.

I'm thinking that sometimes it pays to be the pebble in the shoe of the church.....

1 comment:

  1. How about submitting an article to the Lutheran with some real life examples?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments totally make my day!